Okay I must admit that I have NEVER had a Monte Cristo sandwich until I made this one... I know, I know don't judge me! But for those of us who are the odd balls and haven't tried this before going vegan, and still haven't tried it while being vegan, I am here to save the day. A Monte Cristo sandwich is pretty much french toast with ham + cheese summed up. I know right? Doesn't get much more delicious than that. Cover that with "syrup-y" berries and you've got yourself a cure for any weekend hangover! Today I'm showing you how to make a veganized version of this breakfast/brunch staple! There's nothing else to say other than what are you waiting for?! Grab your mimosas and get to cooking!
VEGAN MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
Vegan Monte Cristo Sandwich
FULL RECIPE VIDEO HERE
1. In a skillet heat up butter on medium heat.
2. Mix together flour, baking powder, cane sugar, and salt with water + egg substitute until you get a pancake mix-like consistency. Adjust wet or dry ingredients as needed.
3. Assemble sandwiches: Add cream cheese to inside layers of each slice of bread and add sliced deli meats + cheese. Cut sandwiches in half and dip into pancake mixture until all sides are covered.
4. Fry up sandwiches in heated pan until all sides are cooked and golden brown.
5. Cut halves in half (lol) and assemble on plate. Top with powdered sugar and berries.
6. Enjoy right away!
**View Recipe Notes Down Below**
Instead of cutting sandwiches in half you could essentially skip this step and fry the whole sandwich first then cut in half after frying. I did it this way because it gets so heavy with the fillings and wet mixture that it's harder to flip. But totally up to you on how you want to cook up the sandwich.
Feel free to play around with the fillings. A traditional Monte Cristo sandwich has simply ham + cheese, but let's be real that's not fun and this is not your average Monte Cristo! ;)