Back in August I visited San Diego for work and I was offered some VERY delicious fried green tomatoes with a horseradish sauce that was to die for! I've been thinking about those sliders for months and how I had to try and recreate them. With having said farewell to the summer months I didn't think I would be able to share this recipe with you all until 2020... but I live in Memphis where the weather tends to stay pretty warm until later in the year, so of course I found some beautiful green tomatoes!
Today I'm sharing with you this super simple recipe to bring you a bit closer to the experience my tastebuds went through when I tried this in California earlier this year. For those of my followers whom like to stay on their paths to health, don't you worry, these airfry and bake in the oven just as good as they do in oil. Whether you like deep fried or baked with a light spray of oil, this recipe is great to share as an appetizer for any dinner party or brunch. Let's get started!
FULL RECIPE VIDEO HERE
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
1/3 cup vegan mayo
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
squeeze of lemon
1. Slice your green tomatoes to your desired size. Place in a bowl with a lid after sprinkling salt and allow to release any juices and soften for about 30 minutes. Once finished remove excess liquid and use a paper towel to remove any left over salt.
2. Combine desired seasonings with flour in a mixing bowl. In a separate mixing bowl combine nutritional yeast and plant milk. In third mixing bowl add in cornmeal. Place green tomatoes in flour, milk mixture, and cornmeal last for breading.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry breaded tomatoes until golden-brown on both sides.
4. Combine mayo, horseradish, vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper.
5. Serve green tomatoes on their own or as a slider with dressing.