Everything bagels, poppyseed bagels, and sesame seed bagels are among my most favorite bagels to eat... especially when smothered in a delicious plant-based cream cheese! But did you know I've started to make my own bagels and cream cheese fresh from home? That's right, all from scratch right in my home kitchen! It's so easy that anyone can do it. It's no secret that when you look at the back of a bag of store bought bread that there is long list of words and things you probably can't pronounce... from chemicals that ensure the bread doesn't go bad so quickly or makes it taste better. Yeah, we don't need to be putting those things into our body. Today, I'll be teaching you how to make these simple and delicious kitchen staples from very few ingredients. So put on your aprons and let's get to cooking!
FULL RECIPE VIDEO HERE
1. In a mixing bowl combine warm water and sugar. Whisk until sugar disolves. Mix in active dry yeast and set aside for 7-8 minutes to allow yeast to activate.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Mix in wet ingredients.
3. Once your mixture has reached a flaky dough, flour your surface and knead for 5 minutes and form dough into a ball.
4. Place dough into a clean bowl, cover with a dish towel, and allow to rise for 1-hour in a warm area of your kitchen.
5. Once dough has risen, score dough into 8 pieces and form 8 small ball forms. Cover again with dish towel and allow to rest for 10-minutes; this will reactivate yeast.
6. Form desired bagel size and shape.
7. Preheat oven and boil a large pot of water. Boil bagel dough in hot water for 30 seconds on each side so that inside of bread can be soft and of a bagel texture; be careful not to let sit for too long as dough will expand and overcook.
8. Place on baking sheet and top with a bit olive oil or water and top with your desired seasonings (everything but the bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, etc.)
9. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown.
10. Allow to cool and store in a container with a napkin to collect any moisture and keep fresh.
1 block pressed tofu; firm or extra firm
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp white pepper (optional)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1-3 garlic cloves (optional)
pinch of herbs as desired
1. Combine tofu and seasonings in a food processor; blend until creamy
2. Add desired herbs and additional seasonings if needed
3. Store in an air-tight container in fridge