PUERTO RICAN SOFRITO
PUERTO RICAN STYLE CHICKPEA MASALA
FULL RECIPE VIDEO HERE
1-2 can(s) of Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
2-3 cups of Vegetable Broth
1 cup Coconut Milk
1 tbsps Coconut Oil
1/4 cup of Plain or Coconut Yogurt
1/2 of 8 oz. Goya Spanish Tomato Sauce Can
1 tbsps sofrito
1 Whole Tomato; diced
1/3-1/4 Onion; diced
2 cloves Garlic; minced
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Garam Marsala
1-2 tsp(s) Curry Powder
1-2 tsp(s) Cumin
2 tsps Garlic Powder
2 tsps Onion Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Dried Herbs Blend
Goya Adobo seasoning to taste
1. In a large heated (medium-high heat) pot melt coconut oil and immediately mix in spices, tomato sauce, and sofrito; continuously stirring to prevent burning.
2. Stir in diced onions, minced garlic, and diced tomatoes. Then stir in your chickpeas (garbanzo beans) to incorporate all ingredients with seasonings and ensuring everything has been covered in flavor.
3. Add in vegetable broth and coconut milk, and allow mixture to come to a boil. Once boiling reduce to a light simmer and cover pot; allow to cook for 25-30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
5. Allow to cool a bit before serving.
This meal is best served with plantains, white or brown rice, avocado, and garnished with cilantro for a fresh flavor.
Lime can also enhance the flavor.
Vegetable broth can also be cut in half with water if needed or desired.